Since Friday evening, I am a proud owner of a Kindle 3! Waiting for the delivery was quite exciting because the delivery slot was between 6.30 and 9.30 that night. Of course, I had to wait until 9.20 until the parcel finally arrived! It was like waiting for Christmas when you are a child and when I could finally unwrap it, it was absolutely great!
I did not just get the Kindle but also a little sleeve so that my new gadget is always protected when I’m traveling. That was really important to me since I am planning to only use it when I’m not at home.
Coincidentally, I had a trip planned for this weekend so that I could already test it outside my house. Here are some great advantages I figured out during my trip:
- It is really extremely light (I did not even recognise that I was carrying a book with me)
- It is so small that it fits into almost every bag!
- It is possible to carry around up to 3.500 books at the same time
- When there is sun it does not make a difference, it is just like reading a real book
- Since it is so light, it is possible to hold it with just one hand which is practical in packed trains when you cannot get a seat
- You can buy a transparent sleeve for it so that you can even read when it is raining
- Reading with gloves is possible as well because in order to turn a page, you just have to press a button. Considering the cold temperatures in the winter and keeping in mind that on my way to work I have to wait outside on a platform waiting for my train, this is great because I do not have to abandon the possibility to read
- It is possible to take notes or highlight certain passages while reading (especially practical for reviewers)
- If your eyes get tired, you can easily switch on the audiobook and a nice voice reads out the book for you
- You can create your own categories and sort your books
- With a Wi-Fi connection you can also share your notes and highlights with others through Facebook and Twitter
This is already a lot. But I found some minor things missing as well:
- To make it even better as a real book, it would be great if it would be possible to have a light for the screen so that you can also read in the dark.
- It would be great if the original page numbers would be shown no matter which font size you are using
- Colours are a bit missing as well. Especially when looking at the cover of the book or shopping in the amazon store.
- Typing on the keyboard takes a bit of time getting used to.
Apart from this, the Kindle is the perfect companion for my trips or my way to work and back! Thus, I am really glad that I bought it. In comparison to other devices such as the iPad or the Sony Reader, it was cheaper, it has more books available to buy and the screen is pretty perfect! And for all other things I want to do when I’m traveling, I still have my iPhone which is a great substitute for the iPad.
My Rating: ★★★★